Treat yourself to luscious homemade vanilla extract with just 3 simple ingredients - vanilla beans, vodka, and patience.
- 3-4 vanilla beans, sliced lengthwise
- 8 oz vodka
- Glass jar with tight fitting lid
- Slice vanilla beans lengthwise and place in a glass jar. Pour in vodka until beans are completely submerged.
- Seal the jar tightly and store in a cool, dark place for 6-8 weeks, shaking gently every few days.
- After the extraction period has passed, taste the vanilla extract. When ready, it will have a deep, rich vanilla flavor.
- Strain through a cheesecloth to remove the bean pods.
Now that you have your very own artisanal vanilla extract, you can perfectly start adding intense vanilla notes to everything from cakes and cookies to whipped cream and ice cream. The homemade vanilla extract has endless possibilities.